Register for Fall Dance at King Centre
Facts about dance
Hopefully, you and your little ones are enjoying the summer months and taking advantage of the fun summer dance camps being offered at King Centre Dance Studios around New Jersey. No doubt your young ones are learning a ton and practicing their dance moves so that they are geared up for Fall when King Centre’s dance lessons in Mahwah start up again.
While your kids are practicing and forging friendships at dance camp now is the time for you to brush up on a little knowledge as well. Dance knowledge, that is.
Did you know these facts about dance?
- Ancient Egyptians used dancing for both entertainment and religion.
- Speaking of religion, dance was represented in many Greek and Roman religious ceremonies.
- European medieval dance were simple folk dances and was widespread among common and wealthy classes.
- Modern dance in Europe started with the Renaissance. This is when many new dances were invented. After this period, Baroque, post-French Revolution, World War 1, Prohibition and pre-World War 2 created many new dances.
- The Waltz, one of the most popular styles of dance today came into popularity in the mid-19th century but can be traced back as far as the 16th
- Professional dance today is regarded as one of the most demanding physical sports.
- Professional dancers today are regarded as athletes.
- Dancing is very beneficial to your health. It lowers the chances for heart and blood vessel diseases, improves posture and weight, reduces stress and improves brain function.
- The famous Cha-Cha dance originated in Cuba.
- The can-can originated from 1830s Paris ballrooms.
- Tap dancing comes from the tribal dances of African slaves. Their arrival in North America introduced the dance to western audiences.
- Tap dancing with metal tap shoes became popular in the US during the 1920s and 1930s. This brought that style of dance to Hollywood movies.
- Famous movies stars like Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly used tap-dancing to captivate their audience.
- The Hindu religion has close ties to dance and it can be depicted in their Bollywood movies.
- Many modern dances came in waves and changed the horizon for new dances like the Charleston in the 1920s.
- The first ballroom dance ever created is the Italian Viennese or the Viennese Waltz.
- Ballroom dance has returned to popularity in recent times partially due to the famous TV competition show “Dancing with the Stars.”
- Breakdancing was created as a form of fighting between gangs in the 1970s Bronx area of New York City. It re-emerged again in the 1990s.
- Dance competition started as early as the 14th century in England. They became popular during the 1930s depression era.
- The tango is noted as the most sensual dance of modern times and originated in Argentina in the 1890s.
- Dancing is fun for all ages from 1 to 100!
These are just some fun facts about dancing and its history. Dancing has always been a way to bring people together and is a form of art in an expressive manner. If you are looking to enroll your child in dance classes in Mahwah this coming fall, be sure to check out King Centre Dance Studio.